Brooklyn Downs loves to perform! Doesn’t matter when, where or what; she’s always willing and ready to get up on the stage. Brooklyn is a junior at Highland High School where she’s involved in band (Flute) and choir (Regional & All State member). Over the last several years she has enjoyed participating in Studio 3 Performing Arts Showstopper Group and several musical productions (Wizard of Oz, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Little Shop of Horrors, High School Musical, etc). Brooklyn also participates in the Red Note Foundation Choir which recently performed their Christmas Cantata at the Mesa Arts Center. She loves playing the piano when she gets a chance. Brooklyn is excited about participating in the upcoming Gilbert LDS Temple Cultural Celebration with a specialty role and just recently learned she got the part of Belle in her High School’s production of “Beauty and the Beast”. Brooklyn is one of the sweetest girls you’ll ever meet and loves to give hugs to everyone around her. She’s a beautiful girl inside and out.
Amy Honka, Soprano
1. What is one thing that you are truly passionate about? I am passionate about music, missionary work, working with people…and LIFE!!! Once a month I have the opportunity to participate in a training seminar with Accomplishment Coaching in San Diego. It’s training for what I am now doing for a living. I am a life coach. It’s awesome. I get to help people discover what they want in their life, what’s stopping them, and supporting them in getting there. It’s amazing to talk with people about their lives and what makes coaching valuable. These training weekends are intesive and I come away exhausted and exhiliarated as a coach.
Taylor Christensen is a Tenor in INSPIRE: Youth and an amazing addition to the group. He is a cool guy and talented musician with amazing guitar skills. Here are some answers Taylor gave about himself in response to a few interview questions.
1. We know you are a stellar guitar player. What bands or singers most influence your sound?
I would have to say that One Republic, Matchbox Twenty, and Jimmy Eat World influence my sound the most.
2. How did you learn about INSPIRE?
I learned about INSPIRE because my friend who was trying out for it wanted me to join.
3. What do you like to do besides sing and play guitar?
I love boardsports like surfing and longboarding. I also enjoy playing the piano and ukulele.
4. What’s your favorite YouTube video?
I don’t go on YouTube very often but right now my favorite video is probably Walk off the Earth’s version of the song Royals.
5. What is something unique about you people may not know?
Something that people may not know about me is that I can sing almost every note that the guitar can play.
Troy Hatch, Tenor
1. How did you meet your beautiful wife? I met Sherry at institute back in 2011. I was on the institute council and was in my last year on the council. I had seen Sherry there a few times and wanted to talk to her, but she always seemed to escape out the door after the lessons were over. So one day I had to chase her outside, which I did and ended up getting her number and called later that week to set up a date which was that weekend. We dated for over a year and then I proposed and was married a few months later in December. We have been married almost a year…December 28th.
2. When did you start singing and how long and in what capacity have you been singing? Believe it or not, but I never sang in High School. I thought that guys were weird that sang, but then again I wish I would have started sooner. There was a group called Sound Celebration that did a fireside in the ward that I grew up in, in Tempe. I was forced in a way to go since it was a ward sponsored fireside. There was a girl that I thought was cute and so I talked my twin sister into auditioning for the group with me as I was embarrassed just for the sole purpose of trying to get to know this girl. Little did I know that I would actually like singing, and it all started from there. I started singing in 1998 just after I graduated High School and have been singing ever since. With Sound Celebration, we toured California, Utah, Arizona, and Hawaii. I was even able to put together a CD demo for Kenneth Cope in 1996, but never did anything to move it forward. I’m hoping to change this trend as I would love to produce a CD but on a larger scale. I’m truly grateful for Inspire which enables me to share my talent while being able to improve on my skills with amazing talent around me.
3. Do you play another instrument? I have played the flute, baritone euphonium, trumpet, piano, and currently I am trying to learn the guitar.
4. What is something you are passionate about? I am passionate about singing, and want to continue to get better. I would love to produce a CD as well. I’m also passionate about what I do for work. I enjoy educating people on how to improve their life physically but financially as I do financial consulting.
5. What is one thing on your bucket list you hope to make happen this year? My goal is to travel the world. I would love to see the church history sites and I would love to take my spouse on a cruise.
6. How did you hear about INSPIRE and what keeps you coming back to the group? I was invited to a musical fireside by some friends and was impressed by the talent and felt that I could do it as well. So I went up after the fireside, and asked how I could get involved…went to an audition, and the rest is history. What keeps bringing me back are the friendships that I’ve been able to make with the members and prior members of the group, but also the spirit that is present in every fireside and practice.
“Come Unto Christ” (2012)
“Truth Restored” (2013)
INSPIRE: music.service.hope is excited to announce that we just recorded our 2nd CD! Both times we have recorded our CD we have been able to fund the project through a KickStarter Campaign. To fund our first CD, “Come Unto Christ” we set a goal for $800 and raised $870. To help fund our 2nd CD, “Truth Restored” we set a goal for $1,500 and raised $1,548.
It has been exciting to see thing grown and come alive with INSPIRE in the past 2 years. Recording our 2 CD’s is just one example of our growth, experience, and the amazing people with whom we’ve surrounded ourselves. For our first CD we just relied on donations and gave our CD’s away. For this new CD we actually raised enough funds to buy the mechanical rights to the songs on the CD so that we can sell them. (we will let you know when “Truth Restored” becomes available for purchase).
One day INSPIRE will have our own recording studio and a place to call home but until that happens we are very happy to be recording where and when and with whomever we can find that wants to blow wind in our sails. We are so grateful to all of those who donated, helped with the building, the recording, and will help with the mixing, packaging, and distributing.
Here’s to another wicked awesome year and another CD!
Nate Wengert, Bass
INSPIRE is excited to be TWO YEARS OLD!!! We have BIG dreams for this next year and the years to come. To help us celebrate our Birthday we decided to combine with a Halloween Party!
We played all kinds of fun and interesting games
And of course—what’s a party without cake
The first word we think of to describe Hudson is passionate. He has a zest for learning with the wheels in his brain always turning. He adds a lot of energy and humor to his family. He’s an absolute fun person to be around. Hudson is the 4th of 6 children in his family. He has a twin sister, Brooklyn. He’s a Junior in High School student with strengths in Math, Science and History.
Hudson absolutely loves participating and watching most sports. Right now he swims competitively year-round with Mesa Aquatics Club, and on most days swims twice a day. He just finished swimming with the high school, lettering for his 3rd year. He’s also a certified scuba diver.
Hudson has a passion for all kinds of music. He has an amazing talent for identifying musical artists, even dating back to the 60’s & 70’s. He’s tough to beat in playing “Name That Artist”. Hudson also plays the piano and trombone. After finishing high school, he plans to serve a mission for his church and then looks forward to college. We love having Hudson in our family because he’s a great young man with a tremendous heart.
Hudson is a Bass in INSPIRE: Youth and we are so thankful to have his powerful voice and his sight-reading abilities. He is such a great musician and an asset to the group.